This May join us for a Month of Action for Mining Justice!
Government officials have told us that they plan to create an ombudsperson for the extractive sector – yet they have not announced it officially and it was not in the federal budget. We need to hold them to their word!
Join us in creating a groundswell of support that decision-makers won’t be able to ignore.
Now mark your calendar and take a stand for Mining Justice this May:
Help us kick off the Month of Action by
- joining (and sharing!) our Thunderclap before May 2! If you haven’t participated in a Thunderclap before, don’t worry, it’s easy!
- Don’t use social media? No problem. Just send a letter to your MP urging her/him to express their support for an ombudsperson to Minister Champagne and asking for a response. (Find your MPs contact info here).
1st week of May:
- Join us for a webinar on May 4 (register) to learn the outcome of the CNCA’s May 3rd meeting with Minister Champagne and to get prepared for our Month of Action. If you haven’t already, call your MPs office to book your MP meeting the last week of May (often a month’s notice is required)!
2nd week of May:
- Write a letter or send a tweet to Minister Champagne (@FP_Champagne). Sample text to be provided at cnca-rcrce.ca/ombudsperson.
3rd week of May:
- Participate in a public action. Actions are already being organized in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver.
- If you don’t live in a city where public actions are being organized, don’t despair. You can help us get the word out by submitting a letter to the editor of your local newspaper explaining why you are concerned about mining justice. Some guidance is here
- Need ideas? Watch a Public action webinar by CNCA member organization MISN (click here for the powerpoint to the webinar)
4th week of May:
- MPs are in their home ridings this week! To wrap up the month of action, meet your MP in his or her office, or give her/him a phone call. Don’t forget to call your MPs office TODAY to book your meeting.