This May join us for a Month of Action for Mining Justice!
Government officials have told us that they plan to create an ombudsperson for the extractive sector – yet they have not announced it officially and it was not in the federal budget. We need to hold them to their word!
Join us today in creating a groundswell of support that decision-makers won’t be able to ignore.
Now mark your calendar and take a stand for Mining Justice this May:
Help us kick off the Month of Action by
- joining (and sharing!) our Thunderclap before May 2! If you haven’t participated in a Thunderclap before, don’t worry, it’s easy!
- Don’t use social media? No problem. Just send a letter to your MP urging her/him to express their support for an ombudsperson to Minister Champagne and asking for a response. (Find your MPs contact info here).
1st week of May:
- Watch the May 4 webinar (link) to get prepared for our Month of Action. If you haven’t already, call your MPs office to book your MP meeting the last week of May (often a month’s notice is required)!
2nd week of May:
- Write a letter or send a tweet to Minister Champagne (@FP_Champagne). Draft your own or use our sample tweets / sample letter (#open4justice)
3rd week of May:
- Participate in a public action. Actions are already being organized in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver.
- If you don’t live in a city where public actions are being organized, don’t despair. You can help us get the word out by submitting a letter to the editor of your local newspaper explaining why you are concerned about mining justice. Some guidance is here
- Need ideas? Watch a Public action webinar by CNCA member organization MISN (click here for the powerpoint to the webinar)
4th week of May:
- MPs are in their home ridings this week! To wrap up the month of action, meet your MP in his or her office, or give her/him a phone call. Don’t forget to call your MPs office TODAY to book your meeting. (Find your MPs contact info here).