Skip to Content (Press Enter)
2020 Empower and Enact Challenge
13 May 2020
EMPOWER and ENACT | Social Media Challenge for Canadians | CNCA Parliamentary e-petition launch
- If you have not already, sign the parliamentary e-petition: https://bit.ly/EmpowerANDEnact.
- Ask your friends and family to sign the petition by taking the #empower and #enact CHALLENGE on Facebook, Instagram, and/or Twitter!
- Ask to meet with your MP to discuss the urgency of these issues by phone or on-line.
- Write a letter to the members of the International Human Rights Parliamentary Subcommittee asking them to empower the ombudsperson and study these issues! Here is a model letter provided by MP Alexis Brunelle-Duceppe
Allegations of human rights violations and environmental damage accompany the Canadian extractive sector and in the making of clothes for the Canadian market. Forced labor, torture, rape, and the contamination of water sources are just some of the claims made against Canadian companies around the globe by Indigenous and rural communities, including women who endure and highlight the gendered impacts of resource extraction. Canadian companies are rarely held accountable for wrongdoing; this is unacceptable.
Urge the government to ensure that the Canadian mining, energy, and garment sectors operating abroad uphold human rights and rules for businesses. The e-petition calls on the House of Commons to take two necessary steps to hold Canadian companies abroad accountable for business human rights violations:
Empower the Canadian Ombudsperson for Responsible Business Enterprise (CORE) with independence and investigatory powers, including power to compel documents.
Enact Mandatory Human Rights Due Diligence (mHRDD) legislation that requires companies to identify, prevent, mitigate and account for human rights abuses arising from their global operations and supply chains and hold companies legally accountable for harm.
Week 1 Action:
Launch of FACEBOOK/INSTAGRAM FIVE FRIENDS Challenge + Share image: Empower and Enact
- Mining companies’ abuses are getting out of hand: environmental destruction, human rights violations, land-grabbing, resource theft and more. It’s up to us to stop them! That’s why I’m counting on _____ , _____ , _____ , _____ and _____ to sign and share our petition. Thanks so much! https://bit.ly/EmpowerANDEnact
- Join me in signing this petition calling for Canadian mining, energy and garment companies to respect human rights and environmental defenders. . ______, ________ and ______, here’s the petition I hope you’ll sign: https://bit.ly/EmpowerANDEnact
- Women, Indigenous people and marginalized communities face unimaginable harassment, intimidation, criminalization and even murder when they stand up to powerful Canadian mining, energy and garment companies. It’s time to stop this. Sign our petition for change! ______, ________ and ______, here’s the petition I hope you’ll sign: https://bit.ly/EmpowerANDEnact
- Mining companies’ abuses overseas are getting out of hand: environmental destruction, human rights violations, land-grabbing, resource theft and more. Let’s empower the ombudsperson and enact corporate accountability legislation! I challenge _____ , _____ , _____ , _____ and _____ to sign and share our petition! https://bit.ly/EmpowerANDEnact
Week 2 Action:
Request a virtual meeting with your MP on TWITTER + Share image: Empower and Enact
- Canadian mining, energy and garment companies and their suppliers too often abuse #HumanRights abroad with impunity! [Your MP’s Twitter handle], help us stop this now! #openforjustice
- [Your MP’s Twitter handle], please meet with me virtually. I need your help to compel Canadian mining, energy and garment companies to respect #HumanRights worldwide. #openforjustice
- [Your MP’s Twitter handle], please meet with us virtually. People are harassed, threatened, even killed for standing up to Canadian mining, energy and garment companies’ #HumanRights abuses abroad. Help us make it stop! #openforjustice
Week 3 Action:
FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and/or TWITTER + Share image: Empower and Enact